Mission & Goals
The Greenhouse Project is a non-profit Nevada Corporation whose mission is to establish and sustainably operate a community-based greenhouse.
The Greenhouse Project provides educational and vocational opportunities for students, youth groups and special needs individuals in a garden setting and serves as a year-round source of locally-grown agricultural and horticultural products for the Carson City community. The greenhouse operations rely on renewable energy sources for power and use ecologically sustainable growing methods to cultivate vegetables, herbs, and flowers.
– Selected greenhouse kit, purchased stamped, engineered plans for the greenhouse, and received pledge from Lopiccolo Construction to donate construction labor
– Identified equipment and staffing necessary for the greenhouse operations and alternative energy sources
– Secured letter of intent from the Carson City School Board for the lease of one-acre on the Carson High School campus
– Reviewed proposed site with a professional engineer, completed preliminary site plan, and submitted a special use permit application to Carson City for the greenhouse
– Sponsoring and cultivating minimum 62 flower baskets per year for Carson City’s downtown corridor and surrounding businesses…..Ongoing
– Established a web site and Facebook page and sponsored a contest to design a logo for The Greenhouse Project
– Held 2009, 2010, 2011,2012,2013 summer benefit concert and auction resulting in thousands of dollars in cash donations and multiple pledges for matching funds.
-Fundraising efforts include these annual events…. Celebrity Chef Dinner, summer benefit Concert Under the Stars with a silent and live auction, Greenthumb 5k run and Spring Plant Sale….Ongoing
– Established nonprofit Nevada corporation and non-profit 501(c)(3) status.
– Continue to apply for grants and solicit private donor opportunities…..Ongoing
– Secure the Carson High School site including finalizing a workable lease and site plan providing access, water and utilities using renewable energy sources……Accomplished
– Finalize the bid for the greenhouse structure through Growers Supply, construct and outfit the greenhouse to house this project…….Accomplished
– Construct raised garden beds, ahoop house, lath house and small orchard to establish gardens and trails to complement the greenhouse…..Accomplished
– Implement a staffing program using the High School teacher resources and supplementing with part time staff and volunteers including student and disabled workers……Ongoing
– Establish a CSA for cut flowers in order to support the greenhouse operations….Ongoing
– Secure sponsorship funding for 100% of the hanging baskets in the downtown core….Ongoing
– Develop programs for the K-12 system, the Boys and Girls Club, and for the volunteer community such as entrepreneurial training, nutrition, physical fitness, mentoring with UNR and WNC students
– Access additional technical expertise from the WNC and UNR agricultural programs
– Develop a sustainable model based on income generation supplemented by community support including donations, grants and volunteers to insure the future funding of TGP program.
– Develop or assist in the development of additional greenhouse and garden operations based on TGP model.