Mission & Goals
The Greenhouse Project is a non-profit Nevada Corporation and our mission is: Growing, giving and teaching for a healthier and greener community.
The vision of The Greenhouse Project is to broaden its mission of growing healthful produce for the underserved of our community. We also provide work-based learning opportunities in greenhouse and garden settings that promote wellness and career opportunities for local students and other community youth and adults.
We envision furthering our outreach by promoting community gardens, expanding our sponsored flower basket program and sharing growing expertise. The Greenhouse Project will continue to foster cross-generational volunteerism and involvement by encouraging collaboration within our city. As our vision expands, jobs will be created to manage additional operations. Funding The Greenhouse Project will be accomplished by procuring permanent capital resources including grants, donors and sponsors which will carry our vision into the future in a mutually beneficial capacity for the community.
– Cultivate 70+ flower baskets per year for Carson City’s downtown corridor and surrounding businesses
– Secure sponsorship funding for 100% of the hanging baskets in the downtown core….Ongoing
-Annual Fundraising annual events: Celebrity Chef Dinner, summer benefit Concert Under the Stars with a silent and live auction, Plant Sales
– Continue to apply for grants and solicit private donor opportunities
– Implement an expanded staffing program using the High School teacher resources and supplementing with part time staff and volunteers including student and disabled workers
– Develop programs for the K-12 system, the Boys and Girls Club, and for the volunteer community such as entrepreneurial training, nutrition, physical fitness, mentoring with UNR and WNC students
– Access additional technical expertise from the WNC and UNR agricultural programs
– Develop a sustainable model based on income generation supplemented by community support including donations, grants and volunteers to insure the future funding of TGP program.
– Develop or assist in the development of additional greenhouse and garden operations based on TGP model.
– Held summer benefit concert and auctions 2009-2018 resulting in thousands of dollars in cash donations and multiple pledges for matching funds.
– Established a web site and Facebook page and sponsored a contest to design a logo for The Greenhouse Project
– Selected greenhouse kit, purchased stamped, engineered plans for the greenhouse, and received pledge from Lopiccolo Construction to donate construction labor
– Identified equipment and staffing necessary for the greenhouse operations and alternative energy sources
– Secured letter of intent from the Carson City School Board for the lease of one-acre on the Carson High School campus
– Reviewed proposed site with a professional engineer, completed preliminary site plan, and submitted a special use permit application to Carson City for the greenhouse
– Established nonprofit Nevada corporation and non-profit 501(c)(3) status.
– Secure the Carson High School site including finalizing a workable lease and site plan providing access, water and utilities using renewable energy sources……Accomplished
– Finalize the bid for the greenhouse structure through Growers Supply, construct and outfit the greenhouse to house this project…….Accomplished
– Construct raised garden beds, a hoop house, lath house and small orchard to establish gardens and trails to complement the greenhouse…..Accomplished
– Establish a CSA for cut flowers in order to support the greenhouse operations….discontinued
Download the complete business plan.